Friday, February 29, 2008

No Depression, no more


I missed the announcement in the current issue, but Lucy told me she heard the report on NPR, and it's, of course, depressing, with a capital "D." No Depression will cease publication after its next issue.

I've been reading No Depression from the beginning, and so I will miss it. It informed, enlightened, maddened and delighted me for the past decade. There is no other such repository for roots and Americana music.

I was reading No Depression a few years ago on a flight out West, and a stewardess sat next to me and proceeded to tell me, at length, about her brother who suffered from depression. I listened politely, and sympathetically, and didn't figure out why she had chosen me, until she asked me why I was reading No Depression. Under other circumstances it would be a laughing matter.

The magazine title comes from an old Carter Family song (and an Uncle Tupelo cover of said song).

No comments: