Thursday, November 1, 2007

Strings attached



Last night I was handing out candy at the house while our boys trooped down the street with a gaggle of friends, and their parents.

I opened the door to one small group of Wesleyan students from the Wellbeing house, who were conducting a "reverse Halloween." They offered me candy and a hand-printed greeting card.

I recognized Aliza from WESU, and her friend Anna was carrying a banjo and dressed as one of the Coon Creek Girls (thanks to Rami for the photo). Imagine, discovering kindred spirits at your door on Halloween. We talked music for some time, then the went down the street singing and playing. They eventually landed at Rani's where there was a campfire, and more singing and playing. I sense something interesting about to happen as musicians in this neighborhood begin to discover one another. This is a very cool neighborhood, indeed.

If you'd like to see this Middletown string band, Wellbeing, in action, they're opening for The Powderkegs, a NY state string band at the Earth House on High Street on Friday. Again, it's a Wesleyan event, so better to inquire in advance if you can get in.

I wish I was going to be around to hear them, but I'll be in Lafayette Louisiana at the Black Pot Festival, listening to some of the best young cajun bands. See reports here over the weekend.

No comments: