Monday, August 13, 2007

Open goal


It's not good for democracy. It's not good for the town. For a mayoral candidate to run unopposed is an embarrassment.

In fact, I think Seb Giuliano has done a lot of good for the town. I don't always agree with his policies (Liberty Square and Kleen Energy are two notable recent examples), but he cleaned up the high school project, got rid of a lousy police chief, prevented a big box from opening in town, and seems to be working hard, against great Democratic machine odds, to clean up City Hall.

On the other hand, an unopposed run might give him the impression that he's doing everything just right.

I suppose I don't have much of a right to complain because I refuse to run for public office, since I consider it tantamount to bashing your head against a wall on a regular basis, still, it wold be nice to have a choice.

No comments: