Thursday, June 18, 2009

A case for Case

(Peter Case packs his case after a Buttonwood Tree gig in Middletown).

I've been a Peter Case fan before I even knew I was a Peter Case fan. His group The Plimsouls had a hit (A Million Miles Away), during the early MTV era, which I loved, and since his first, amazing solo album, I was hooked.

A few months back Case suffered a heart attack and had bypass surgery. He's recovering quickly, but as with many people without health insurance in this country, he's buried in financial debt because of his medical bills.

Out where he lives in LA they held a three-day benefit at the well-loved guitar store and concert venue McCabes featuring a line-up of artists which looks like the playlist from one of my radio shows (Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright III, T Bone Burnett, Van dyke Parks, Syd Straw, Sam Phillips, Phranc, Dave Alvin). The entire three-day benefit sold-out and raised a bunch of money for Case, but he's got a long way to go.

So the group formed Hidden Love, a benefit organization designed to help Case lift the burden of his debt. You can find out how to donate here.

No comments: