Monday, June 2, 2008

Lobbyists, si. Constituents, no.


I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the irony in the fact that our elected representatives will set everything aside to see lobbyists, even lobbyists from states they do not represent, and will barely give the time of day to constituents.

Ever called or written a Senator or Congressperson?  Ever talk to that person, or get a real, considered response that was not boilerplate?  Ever had an aide answer the phone and tell you that the Senator or Congressperson had not made their mind up on the particular issue you were talking about?

I know that if I called my Senator or Congressperson and told them I was the president of a large manufacturing company, or the head of an influential lobbying group, they'd take my call quickly, or call back as soon as they could.

Here's a story about a group of Maine voters who petitioned their Senator Susan Collins.  She couldn't be bothered to see them, so they hung around, got arrested, and eventually won their case on a Constitutional argument.

BTW, Susan Collins, BFF of Creepy Joe™ Lieberman.

No comments: