Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My predicition on the Reverend Jeremiah Wright


As I posted yesterday, I think that the most recent Wright outburst was intentional, and designed by Wright, and/or Wright and Obama to allow Obama to distance himself permanently from Wright.

If I'm right, I think we won't hear any more from Wright until after Obama is elected President (and then I think we'll hear a lot more). If I'm wrong, then Wright will be out there swinging, and maybe Obama won't be elected president.

BTW, I support Obama, and Wright, and I think it's disingenuous for pundits to say that Wright is off-kilter for his wild views. Think of what he says that's considered most outrageous:

- He thinks the government may be responsible for AIDS. Okay, you can disagree on the details of this one, but the underlying assumption is that our government is capable of some really terrible things. Start with the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment, and work your way through the bombing of Cambodia, the support of the Contras, the arming of Saddam Hussein, extraordinary renditions and torture of prisoners, and you have to admit Wright is right.
- He thinks, as an ex-Marine, that our military sometimes can be equated with terrorists. I don't know anyone who doesn't support every service person who is doing their duty conscientiously, but you'd be completely naive to believe that there aren't some military personnel who have murdered, raped and tortured. If that's not reprehensible, I don't know what is. So, again, you have to admit Wright is right.
- He says that Louis Farrakhan is one of the most influential voices of our age. I'm not sure on this one, but it may be true that Farrakhan has far more influence amongst the black population than any of us white observers can suspect. But given the pronouncements of people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, and the political connections they have had, it's easy to see that nut jobs have far more influence in all politics than we would care for them to have. So Wright is right again.

No comments: