Friday, May 18, 2007

Night Rally


I love musicians, because I love music, and you can't have one without the other. But I'm one of those who has always been bothered by musicians who have "sold out" to corporate advertisers. Whether it's the Clash selling jeans for Levi's, Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison selling allergy medicine, Led Zep selling Caddy's or the Rolling Stones selling whatever anyone with enough bucks wants them to sell. So I was sorely disappointed to find that the only way I could buy a ticket on the latest Elvis Costello tour was to own a Visa card. And then Mr. Costello himself is featured prominently in a Visa advertising campaign. Maybe he's hard up for cash. Maybe Diana Krall insists on a certain lifestyle. Maybe he's not angry anymore.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I think it was originally said about Jesse Jackson, but I think it applies to Elvis C. as well, that the most dangerous place in the world to be is between him and a camera.